The Prevalence of Errors in Anaphylaxis in Kids (PEAK) Study is looking for institutions who would like to participate in the study!
There are still provider knowledge gaps and a need for better adherence to anaphylaxis guidelines in pediatric institutions. There is no published overview of clinical or simulation research comparing the use of manually drawn up epinephrine (EI) to the use of Epinephrine auto-injectors (EAI) in the management of anaphylaxis.
To perform a multicenter point prevalence study of simulated anaphylaxis in a pediatric patient in order to characterize the variability between institutions for management of anaphylaxis in terms of:
- Time to delivery of epinephrine for epinephrine injectable (EI) or epinephrine auto-injectors (EAI).
- Types of errors made in relation to epinephrine administration for EI or EAI.
- To identify factors associated with compliance with the World Allergy Organization’s best practices for anaphylaxis management and in particular epinephrine administration.
- To identify any latent or system patient or staff safety threats related to EI or EAI.
When: Ideally May 2018 (food allergy awareness week is May 13-19), but could be done through August 2018.
Where: Institutions can choose their preferred clinical site (ICU, ED, inpatient floor, OR, clinic, radiology…) for the simulation but it must be performed in situ.
How can an institution participate?
- Perform one in situ simulation scenario with the goal of systems/process analysis.
- Each site will need to attain approval of their local IRB.
- Need a 5 year old high or low technology simulator with vitals monitor.
- Recommend you use whatever your staff is most familiar with and makes it is easiest for you to perform. That is, if your simulations typically involve a low fidelity manikin with a vitals monitor, then use that and provide the clinical exam prompts. If your staff are used to a high fidelity/technology mannequin, then would use that.
- Recruit clinical staff specific to the scenario site.
- Use real medications and supplies found in the chosen clinical site. (Could potentially substitute an epi pen trainer due to high cost of the medication.)
- Collect data and enter it into the SSH Sim Registry and LST database.
If you are interested in participating, please enter your info: https://is.gd/AnaphylaxisPPS
Questions? Email to [email protected]